A garden is more than some dirt and plants. It is a place of serenity. It can be a collision of art and nature. Also a bed of plentiful harvest. This collection is a scrap book of all things gardening that bring joy

Available for Hire! Garden Guru Joey



Thursday, September 17, 2026

Why is it a Blackberry Lily?

I have a few plants I wanted to share a bit before the end of the season. There are always the handful of regulars to be found from seed and in stock at nurseries. But I have a couple of hidden gems that fall off the radar and are worth a look as you plan ahead for next season.

The first is a Blackberry Lily which I was 1st gifted years ago by fellow gardener friend Laura F. It is confusing in that it is neither a fruit OR a Lily. It is actually an Iris! The main clue are its long, tall fronds and stems which are obviously in the Iris genes. Where it differs is in the flower. The blooms look more like an orchid. I had one in a bright yellow shade, but most resemble my current one appropriately called Freckles in a coral/ tangerine tone. I can see where they are sometimes also referred to as a Leopard Flower because of these spots.

What makes them a good add is that they bloom mid summer and are on tall, thick stems of 30" so they stand out from the front border but are not climbers either. The sweet flowers only last a few days, but a single stem normally yields 5-6 flowers in tandem. Where iris tend to expand out, the lilies do not and stay relegated to the spacing they are in. They may offer up multiple stems, but never really branch out more than 12 inches in any direction. I do stake them so they do not snap in strong winds. Mine have always been resilient after the first few years where they need good soil and watering to establish. They are listed as Zone 5, but have never been in issue in my plot near the house where they are sheltered a bit from hard winter freezes. 

 

To get to the blackberry reference, I just noticed them late season at the Lyndale Border Gardens on an evening walk. I am meticulous about dead heading my plants, but had forgotten how these go to seed in early Fall. The blooms go into a pod mode and eventually "pop" releasing these magical dark bundles that look exactly like a fat blackberry. I have never dabbled with growing from seed, but suspect it may be easy since they are huge. I would also guess it is not as easy as most annuals and may take a few years of rooting until you get a full plant with blooms. But if you are seeking something unusual, these can be found and are worth the investment. I have mine right by the front steps and see it daily when brushing the dogs on the front stoop.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is it a Blackberry Lily?

I have a few plants I wanted to share a bit before the end of the season. There are always the handful of regulars to be found from seed and...